RE: Issue 25 Proposal

From: Henrik Frystyk Nielsen <henrikn@microsoft.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2001 16:44:18 -0700
To: "Jacek Kopecky" <jacek@idoox.com>, "Mark Jones" <jones@research.att.com>
Cc: <marting@develop.com>, <xml-dist-app@w3.org>

Whether one writes a streaming implementation or not is not for us to
decide - all we have to do is to define the processing model. As of now,
we have a model that allows intermediaries to skip from a certain point
in the message and for a processor to add stuff at the end after the
body leaving the SOAP processing to headers referencing these trailers.

I am wondering what use cases we are trying to address that are not
covered by this?

It is of course always possible to use DIME or MIME multipart/related
for just plain old links for dealing with large chunks of data. We
cannot, however, in this spec set any rules for what "large" means.

>P.S: I'm starting to prefer the way of disallowing streaming
>altogether and saying "put the bloody huge data in an
>attachment as that's where streaming errors won't affect the
>validity of the whole message".

Henrik