Re: FYI: APEX

At 11:45 AM 2/26/01 -0800, Mark Nottingham wrote:
>These drafts concern APEX, an extensible messaging protocol which
>uses BEEP as a substrate, whose first application is presence
>protocols (e.g., ICQ, etc.)
>
>APEX has some similarities to SOAP/XML Protocol, and is authored by
>Marshall Rose, who wrote BEEP.

Hi,

Thanks for noting this.

 From my reading of the current SOAP spec, and the XP requirements, I would
see APEX as a candidate alternative message transfer protocol for XP or a
SOAP envelope.

It could be used as an alternative to HTTP in circumstances similar to
those in which SMTP might be considered, but is designed more with
application-to-application and "quick" messaging in mind.  I think it could
be a useful option in, say, mobile environments because message handling
state is decoupled from the underlying TCP connection, and as such is less
prone to disruption if connections are lost.

Finally, if/when an SMTP binding for XP is contemplated, there is some work
in the IETF FAX WG which might conceivably be of interest, notably a
proposal to achieve deterministic timely confirmation for SMTP message
delivery and processing.  (draft-ietf-fax-timely-delivery-02.txt).

#g

Graham Klyne
GK@NineByNine.org