RE: issue 168 proposal: xsi:type of external references in Encoding (fwd)

From: Noah Mendelsohn <noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 17:00:52 -0500
To: henrikn@microsoft.com
Cc: "chris.ferris" <chris.ferris@sun.com>, "jacek" <jacek@systinet.com>, "xml-dist-app" <xml-dist-app@w3.org>, "xml-dist-app-request" <xml-dist-app-request@w3.org>

Jacek Kopecky suggests:

> "The href attribute can in fact point to anything at all and
>it's the pointee's responsibility to provide it's type
>information. (In case of XML, type can be gotten from a schema
>or from the xsi:type attribute inf. item, in other cases by
>other means.)"

I think the technical proposal is fine.  I suggest a little editorial
cleanup as the wording above seems a bit informal for a specification.  I
presume this is the sort of thing that the editorial team can do once we
approve the general direction.  The core idea seems good (though I think
the other question of separating the closed  "in the envelope graph"is not
entirely settled).

One Rogers Street
Cambridge, MA 02142