RE: issue 168 proposal: xsi:type of external references in Encoding

From: <noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2001 13:56:35 -0500
To: John_Barton@hpl.hp.com
Cc: andrewl@microsoft.com, dorchard@bea.com, jacek@systinet.com, xml-dist-app@w3.org
John Barton writes:

>> Perhaps we can posit this as a requirement for a
>> XMLP packaging solution.

First of all, XML Packaging has been discussed for a long time, and I
think it's fair to say that it's a term that covers a quite broad range of
use cases.  Whether XML Packging will emerge as an effort that has the
scope to cover things like S+A and Dime is very much TBD in my opinion.

In any case, I think attachment packaging needs to be on a per-binding
basis.  Now that we're infoset based, even the XML envelope need not be
sent in "<" form;  that too is on a per-binding basis.  If XML Packaging
comes up with something good, then it would be a good thing if the authors
of binding specs gave serious consideration to using it.  I don't think we
can reduce the whole attachments problem to XML packaging.

One Rogers Street
Cambridge, MA 02142