RE: issue 168 proposal: xsi:type of external references in Encoding

At 12:25 PM 12/12/2001 -0500, noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com wrote:
[snip]
>The one one thing I'm trying to add is that, for each attachment
>architecture (SwA, DIME), we document to the extent practical the URI's
>that will be used to refer to information >>carried with the message<<.
>Otherwise, I can claim I'm doing SOAP+Attachments, use href="http://....",
>and say "well, I thought it was an attachment, too bad you had to go out
>on the web to get it."  I want to be able to say "If you're using S+A,
>then a URI of the form cid:// is an attempt to reference information
>carried with the message...at a given node where the message has been
>completely received, retrieval of the resources referenced by such URI's
>SHOULD NOT fail due to lack of network connectivity, etc."
>
>In other words, I'm looking for a simple abstraction, presumbaly based on
>URI's, to distinguish (an attempt to reference) information that is truly
>an attachment from an attempt to reference all the other useful
>information on the web.  That's all I'm looking for.

Perhaps we can posit this as a requirement for a XMLP packaging
solution.  That is SOAP (XMLP?) 1.2 says nothing about any URI scheme,
but 1.3 says that certain schemes like "cid:" come with application
requirements and specific faults.  Well assuming the WG buys into
a packaging solution in 1.3 vs one in 1.2 vs forgetting about it.

John.
John J. Barton          email:  John_Barton@hpl.hp.com
http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/John_Barton/index.htm
MS 1U-17  Hewlett-Packard Labs
1501 Page Mill Road              phone: (650)-236-2888
Palo Alto CA  94304-1126         FAX:   (650)-857-5100