RE: issue 168 proposal: xsi:type of external references in Encoding

From: David Orchard <dorchard@bea.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 17:23:25 -0800
To: "'Henrik Frystyk Nielsen'" <henrikn@microsoft.com>, "'Noah Mendelsohn'" <noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com>, "'Andrew Layman'" <andrewl@microsoft.com>
Cc: "'jacek'" <jacek@systinet.com>, "'xml-dist-app'" <xml-dist-app@w3.org>

<snip/>

> > I understand people's motivations - I had them myself at one
> >point - but IMHO there is no easy/reasonable/useful thing to
> >do given our schedule.
>
> I agree and on a slightly more serious note, I would from a
> general Web
> architecture point of view suggest that we not go down this particular
> slippery slope.
>
> Henrik

That's certainly my position on this issue.  And on an even slightly more
serious note, I'm not sure that I would want the TAG to tackle this issue.
Though the TAG could(should?) identify this as an open issue for the web
architecture.  I just don't see a reasonable solution.  I have visions of
CORBA externalization with double de-referencing and other nasty surprises.

Dave