Re: issue 168 proposal: xsi:type of external references in Encoding

 Noah, please see my proposal to #170 [1] and the following
thread, I think it handles exactly the problem you describe in
your message.
 Best regards,

                   http://www.systinet.com/

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/xml-dist-app/2001Dec/0012.html