From: Noah Mendelsohn [mailto:noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com]
Sent: Monday, December 10, 2001 10:06 AM
To: Jacek Kopecky <jacek
Cc: xml-dist-app
Subject: Re: issue 168 proposal: xsi:type of external references in
Encoding

As I've suggested before, I think there are issues relating to external
references that go beyond the encodings, and I think our approach has to
be
consistent across the cases.  If I send you a document that uses
encoding
and has an href to some other URL, what are my obligations in following
that link?  It has very bad performance and security implications if you
even imply that a conforming implementation MUST try to open a random
URL
that happens to show up in the href of a document.

This also relates to our handling of SOAP+Attachments and DIME, which I
think we've delayed for now.

So, we need to indicate in the encodings, what is the result if there is
an
href you choose not to follow or can't follow?  Is it that a fault
should
be generated?  Is it the same fault as if an href in the form of a
fragment
referencing the envelope itself fails?  Thanks.

One Rogers Street
Cambridge, MA 02142