Re: SOAP IANA considerations

From: Graham Klyne <GK@ninebynine.org>
Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2001 17:11:39 +0000
To: Mark Baker <mbaker@planetfred.com>
Cc: xml-dist-app@w3.org, mnot@mnot.net
At 10:58 AM 12/6/01 -0500, Mark Baker wrote:
>We have identified three items requiring registration with IANA;
>
>- SOAP media type
>- SOAPAction header (*)
>- SOAPAction-negotiation HTTP response code
>
>(*) there is currently no HTTP header registry at IANA, but we can
>establish one

Has this been discussed with anyone in the IETF, such as the applications
area directors?

I ask because it's not clear to me that creating the header registry would
necessarily be a trivial exercise.  Given that HTTP shares some headers
with MIME, should the HTTP registry be completely separate fro MIME (and
other email-related) headers?  Similar thoughts arise with respect to
news-related headers (again, because MIME is the linking theme).

If it helps, I currently have a proposal on the table at
http://search.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-klyne-msghdr-registry-00.txt,
whose primary goal is to provide a place for email-related headers.  This
has had some discussion on the IETF general applications / rfc822 mailing
lists, a couple of months ago.

#g

Graham Klyne
GK@NineByNine.org