Re: Suggestion on application/soap{+xml} media type attribute

From: Marc Hadley <marc.hadley@sun.com>
Date: Tue, 04 Dec 2001 08:41:03 +0000
To: Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org>
CC: Christopher Ferris <chris.ferris@sun.com>, Henrik Frystyk Nielsen <henrikn@microsoft.com>, XML dist app <xml-dist-app@w3c.org>
Mark Baker wrote:

>>SOAPAction is now OPTIONAL per agreement made at the
>>September f2f.
>>

> Well, I wouldn't exactly call "negotiated", "optional".  A SOAP sender
> would have to be pretty daft to not support SOAPAction because any
> recipient may require its use.

Whilst not wanting to re-open that can of worms, the spec does say:

"SOAP Receivers MAY use it as a hint to optimise processing, but SHOULD

NOT require its presence in order to operate." which is pretty strong

discouragement against requiring it.

Regards,
Marc.

--
Marc Hadley <marc.hadley@sun.com>
XML Technology Centre, Sun Microsystems.