Re: SOAP and the Web architecture

It's implementation-specific. Generally, there are multiple
per-request buffers allocated for URIs, and memory is *very* precious
on HTTP intermediaries.

Squid [1], the most well-known (and widely deployed) caching proxy
currently defaults to 4096 bytes. IIRC, older versions (which are
still in service in some ISPs, .edu's, etc.) limited it to 1024 or
2048.

Commercial implementations (the biggest are roughly: Network
Appliance, Inktomi and Cisco) will likely have similar limitations.
I'll ask a few people I know...

Also, consider that application-layer firewalls and gateways (e.g.,
Checkpoint Firewall-1), etc. will have similar limitations, as well
as their own idiosyncracities. There are a *lot* of semi-broken,
small-vendor, special-purpose intermediaries out there as well.

[1] http://www.squid-cache.org/

--
Mark Nottingham
http://www.mnot.net/