RE: SOAP and the Web architecture

From: Dick Brooks <dick@8760.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2001 09:32:53 -0500
To: "Mark Baker" <distobj@acm.org>, "Larry Masinter" <LMM@acm.org>
Cc: "Hugo Haas" <hugo@w3.org>, <xml-dist-app@w3.org>
>POST is designed to allow a uniform method to cover the following
functions:

>      - Annotation of existing resources;
>
>      - Posting a message to a bulletin board, newsgroup, mailing list,
>        or similar group of articles;
>
>      - Providing a block of data, such as the result of submitting a
>        form, to a data-handling process;
>
>      - Extending a database through an append operation.
>
>I've seen HTML forms used for all four.

Various segments of the Energy industry have standardized on HTTP POST for
the
reliable, secure exchange of signed/encrypted business data (X12, XML,
etc.), following
RFC 2388 (http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2388.txt). Metadata (routing,
identification, etc.) is represented in form elements that accompany the
business data.
This approach is used for both automated, unattended agent based processing
and
interactive browser based interactions for SME's.

Dick Brooks

Co-chair, Electronic Delivery Mechanism Committee,
Gas Industry Standards Board (http://www.gisb.org)

Chairman, Internet Data Transport Committee,
Utility Industry Group (http://www.uig.org)