From: Nilo Mitra (EMX) [mailto:Nilo.Mitra@am1.ericsson.se]
Sent: Wednesday, August 15, 2001 3:12 PM
To: 'XMLP Internal'
Subject: Proposed Primer ToC

Dear All:
Based on a telecon between the editors of the current spec and myself,
please find below a proposed ToC for the SOAP:Primer.

My ideas for what the contents might be follow the headings in the ToC.
Also, please note that the section headings are tentative place-holders,
chosen more to reflect
the content. The scenario numbers S### are from the requirements
document [2].

Please let me know what you think. Thanks,
Nilo
nilo.mitra@ericsson.com

[1]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/w3c-xml-protocol-wg/2001Aug/0023.htm
[2] http://www.w3c.org/TR/2001/WD-xmlp-reqs-20010319/#N2690

========

SOAP 1.2: Primer
Table of Contents

1. INTRODUCTION

        1.1 Overview
Briefly explain the separate entities: SOAP "core", its binding to
alternative transports,....
in effect a guide to the two parts of the specification

        1.2 SOAP Processing Model
Briefly explain what is done by/responsibility of SOAP processors, what
is outside

        1.3 Extensibility mechanisms
Briefly explain how applications can define new extension mechanisms.
Pointers to specific examples
in Sections 2, 3.

2. BASIC USAGE SCENARIOS

        2.1 One-way SOAP messages

<<covers S1; I don't think S2 needs an explicit example, just some text
perhaps>>

This could be Example 0 from the current spec.

We could follow up to show its use with acknowledgements <<scenario
S5>>, for HTTP POST
and a response 202/204 and SMTP with DSN.
(Would also serve to clarify the distinction between a SOAP one-way and
the underlying
protocol's messaging pattern.)

        2.2 Two-way SOAP messages

                2.2.1 Document-style message exchange

<<covers S3, maybe also S6>>
Need to make up an example here.

<<Could make up some examples here to cover S6 and S10 - encrypted
payload/header>>

                2.2.2 SOAP for RPC

<<covers S4>>
Could use example 1/2 and/or example 48/50/52 from the current spec.
These show HTTP
mapping.

3. ADVANCED USAGE SCENARIOS

This chapter would cover scenarios involving intermediaries, adding
headers, mU, etc.
Two options are possible: sections based on features (e.g., adding new
headers..) versus
sections named after scenarios (e.g., "Conversational message exchange")
showing the use of
such features keeping the structure like section 2. For now, I chose the
former.

The intent would be to show clearly what is in the scope of the spec and
what needs to be
done outside of it via hooks provided in the spec (e.g., extension
mechansims)

        3.1 Using headers

Could provide one example here where a header block for correlation ID
is used along with
an SMTP binding. <<covers scenario S8, S17, possibly S20 if example is
suitably chosen>>

Could provide (a la example 49/51) example showing fault code for
failure to understand mandatory header.

        3.2 Using SOAP intermediaries

Need to provide *new* examples here (choose from tracking, logging,
cacheing,....) that exercise the
actor and mU attributes.
<<would cover S11, parts of S10, S807, S810, maybe others>>
<<Paul Denning has sent me email saying that he'd like to "help with
S810". perhaps we could use some
examples from SOAP-RP??>>

        3.3 Using other transport bindings

Need to provide examples. Or it could just be a description or issues
that the application designer
must be aware of or what expectations to have when using any particular
underlying transport.

        3.4 using other serialization schemes

I have not been able to find a way to cover the more unusual usage
scenarios, c.f., S21.
I'm not sure we need to validate each one of them.
Comments welcome,
Nilo