RE: PROVREG and XML Protocol

From: Hollenbeck, Scott <shollenbeck@verisign.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 06:59:03 -0400
To: "'Mark Nottingham'" <mnot@akamai.com>, Rick H Wesson <wessorh@ar.com>
Cc: ietf-provreg@cafax.se, XML Distributed Applications List <xml-dist-app@w3.org>

With the provreg work being done in the IETF, there is a very strong desire,
perhaps even a mandate, to define transport mechanisms based on other IETF
standard protocols.  As Rick noted, when I first started working on EPP SOAP
wasn't really mature enough (see your "what will be" comment above) to be
considered a viable transport candidate, plus there was/is no IETF work
happening to make it a standards track protocol.  That doesn't mean it won't
ever happen, but I do believe it's something that would need to happen
(perhaps as a joint IETF/W3C effort) before XML protocols being developed in
the IETF could consider SOAP transport.

<Scott/>