RPC-TF status update Aug 15 2001

From: Henrik Frystyk Nielsen <henrikn@microsoft.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 13:16:41 -0700
To: <xml-dist-app@w3.org>

As a result of the RPC taskforce's work this week, we have four items to
update on:

1) We discussed the proposal [1] that Frank DeRose sent out to the list.
We felt that there were some middle ground that we wanted to explore and
that resulted in a proposal [2] sent out to the list for comments.

2) We discussed a concern from Jacek regarding the use of the RPC
convention of how to handle the "return value" which currently is
modeled as the first accessor in the struct containing the RPC
invocation result. Jacek sent out a call for comments [3] to
soapbuilders on whether this is seen as a problem or not. It has caused
some discussion.

3) We believe we have resolved issue 42 [4] about clarifying "object"
and "method" in rpc. Vidur who raised the issue is happy with the text
in SOAP 1.2 WD and we recommend that the issue be closed.

4) Solved the action item "Consider whether a glossary description for
method/object terms should be added." in that we don't believe we should
get into the question of what an object is. The reason is that it is not
used in SOAP directly and it is likely to be a big time sink.

Henrik Frystyk Nielsen
mailto:henrikn@microsoft.com

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/xml-dist-app/2001Aug/0078.html
[2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/xml-dist-app/2001Aug/0095.html