RE: Proposed resolution: issues 78, 16

From: <Noah_Mendelsohn@lotus.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2001 22:46:12 -0400
To: Jacek Kopecky <jacek@idoox.com>
Cc: mlong@phalanxsys.com, xml-dist-app@w3.org, xml-dist-app-request@w3.org
Jacek writes:

>>  RPC needs to point to the RPC element while
>> an encoding wants to mark serialization
>> root(s).

+1.  This is exactly the right distinction between the two. Again, I'm
still not 100 percent sure I'm ready to endorse any particular approach,
but I think the distinction in the potential needs is just right.   For
better or worse, the chapter 5 encoding provides a graph data model.  One
of its uses is for RPC, but there are other potential uses.  The root
attribute distinguishes certain nodes in the graphs.  Chapter 7 provides
for remote procedure call:  the proposed START tag marks the element that
identifies the service to be called, I think.  I wonder whether something
like METHOD= or CALL= might be more suggestive than START?  I'm not sure
we are really starting anything, so much as distinguishing the element
that identifies the call to be attempted.

One Rogers Street
Cambridge, MA 02142