Modeling RPC with UnitData

From: Ray Denenberg <rden@loc.gov>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 18:24:23 -0400
To: XML Distributed Applications List <xml-dist-app@w3.org>
I was asked by the WG to draft a resolution to the question of abstract modeling
of RPC; namely, is the UnitData primitive sufficient at the XMLP layer to model
RPC?   (The actual question was whether the UnitData primitive needed a
response-required parameter.)

One theory is this: It has now been agreed that RPC will be represented by a
module,  modeled on top of the XMLP layer, and it therefore does not need to be
represented by a state machine within the XMLP layer itself (thus the RPC nature
of a transaction is not visible to XMLP).

To bring this issue to resolution, I would like to ask if there is anyone not
comfortable with this approach. I am tasked with proposing a solution by noon
Monday; if there is no response to this, that is what I will propose.

--Ray

--
Ray Denenberg
Library of Congress