Re: Announce: A brief history of SOAP

From: Rich Salz <rsalz@zolera.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2001 21:06:39 -0400
To: christopher ferris <chris.ferris@east.sun.com>
CC: Andrew Layman <andrewl@microsoft.com>, xml-dist-app@w3.org
The risk is in sliding down the slippery slope from "can use" to
"require."  I am all in favor of the former; the latter is troublesome.
(It would be a bad thing if XP ever had the phrase "post-validation
infoset" for example. :)

The SOAP encoding rules allow everything, from completely
self-describing typed data where there really is no external meta-data,
to opaque collections of elements whose contents are unparseable without
XSD or DTD (I forget which).  Would that they had also profiled a simple
subset.

A general SQL->SOAP database browser might be a useful example to think
about.
	/r$