Re: Correlation.MessageRef [was AM corrections]

From: Jean-Jacques Moreau <moreau@crf.canon.fr>
Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2001 14:44:49 +0200
To: "Williams Stuart" <skw@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
CC: xml-dist-app@w3.org, Mark Jones <jones@research.att.com>, chris.ferris@east.sun.com
Hi Stuart,

I think both Chris Ferris and I are somewhat unhappy with Correlation.MessageRef
being a local/relative reference.

IMO, the value of MessageRef (which I assume is something that would be embedded
in the message itself/binding) should not change as the message progresses
through intermediaries. It makes it hard otherwise to track messages, or to
refer to messages one has seen in the past.

For example, a given intermediary might send an ACK every 5 messages, and list
the corresponding MessageRef's. How would the sender know which messages are
being ACKed, if it used a different numbering scheme than the intermediary?

Jean-Jacques.

"Williams, Stuart" wrote:

> Local means local to one's point of reference ie. at the sender the
> reference is local to that sender, at an intermediary it is local to that
> intermediary, at a receiver it is local to that receiver. It's a local
> handle to a message.  You can think of it a bit like a local reference to a
> memory buffer (but that would be dangerous in practice because buffers get
> reused).

Jean-Jacques Moreau had written: