RE: Removal (Time for XMail?)

From: S. Mike Dierken <mike@knownow.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2000 10:47:13 -0700
To: "Ken MacLeod" <ken@bitsko.slc.ut.us>, <xml-dist-app@w3.org>

> > Effectively, it'd be headers first, then content as a separate
> > message or set of messages.  The recipient would have a lot more
> > control over what they got, we wouldn't be trying to stuff
> > everything into an XML document, and maybe we could finally get past
> > some of SMTP's legacy headaches.
>
> Wouldn't that effectively be XMLized MIME?  Then one would only need
> to find the justification for XML format for headers over RFC822
> format for headers.  (One such justification is an extra layering of
> structure before getting to the mini-parsing of fields.)

It might be interesting to have a SAX parser that read RFC822 headers and
generated XML style events - that way XML processors (or DOM builders or
whatever) could be used without changing the syntax.

It would be interesting to consider what the 'canonical DTD' for something
like HTTP, SMTP or NTTP might look like.

Mike