Re: Removal (Time for XMail?)

From: Graham Klyne <gk-lists@dial.pipex.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2000 09:13:42 +0100
To: "Kurt Cagle" <cagle@olywa.net>
Cc: <xml-dist-app@w3.org>
At 05:10 PM 9/28/00 +0000, Kurt Cagle wrote:
>I'm not so sure that its altogether that far off topic. We have two primary
>mechanisms for data transport across the web -- HTTP, of course, and SMTP.
>I've heard all kinds of interesting strategies for bringing XML to HTTP,
>from WebDAV on down, but it would seem to me that work on a similar protocol
>for upgrading SMTP to an XML basis could provide some powerful dividends.

You might care to take a peek at an IETF draft that is kicking about:

     http://search.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-mrose-imxp-core-00.txt

It has been prepared as a response to an IETF request for instant messaging
proposals, but draws deeply on extensive experience with SMTP.  It builds
upon BEEP:

     http://search.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-beep-framework-02.txt

#g

Graham Klyne                       Content Technologies Ltd.
<Graham.Klyne@mimesweeper.com>