Re: Removal (Time for XMail?)

From: <Noah_Mendelsohn@lotus.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2000 10:10:46 -0400
To: Ed Mooney <Ed.Mooney@Sun.COM>
Cc: bigor@infolio.com, cagle@olywa.net, xml-dist-app@w3.org
I have a suspicion, not carefully considered, that ID= attributes can
cause problems when XML is used as a generalized container for other XML.
For example, let's consider the case where your e-mail has several
attachments, each of them XML, and they make conflicting use of the same
ID names.  As best I can tell, you can work around this as long as you're
careful about what you validate and how, but as I say, I suspect there are
some messy edge conditions here.  Certainly there are likely to be
problems with any tools that take the container document as a whole and
try to blindly interpret ID attributes.

I have had this same concern for SOAP, for example, insofar as it serves
as a generalized packaging framework for assembling XML messages.  Not a
fatal problem, I think, but probably something that deserves a bit of
thought.

One Rogers Street
Cambridge, MA 02142