Re: Schematron schema for SOAP 1.1 Envelopes

Henrik Frystyk Nielsen wrote:

> Did you try and follow the links:
>
>     http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/
>
> and
>
>     http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/

No.

1) A namespace is not a schema. I would hope XML namespaces will
eventually get some mechanism for being useful for reliable retrieval
semantic schemas (and also other kinds of resources appropriate to the
namespace).  It would not enter my mind to expect an XML Schema at the
other end of a namespace.

2) I would, however, look for it at the end of an xsi:schemaLocation
attribute.  I did not recall the text expressing that there was a schema
at the other end of the link.  I would assume that the spec itself would
be at the other end, if anything (i.e., for when the spec or a paragraph
is cut and pasted out, and one wants to return to the canonical version
of the spec.)

3) I am using Navigator as my browser. It does not give me any
indication what the resource at the other end of that link is when it
fetches it, and does not display XML.  (My practise is not to follow
every link in a document, especially if it involves saving the resource
to disk and looking at it.)

David Orchard wrote:

> I made the exact same mistake that Rick made.

> Why?  Because registering schema locations at a version/date-less URL is
> going to cause enormous compatibility problems in the future.

I agree with David.  The whole issue of versioning conventions is still
up for grabs. If we coul use attributes for versioning, XML Schemas
could probably deal with the issue; however, because in the WWW
architecture it is natural that it goes as a URL issue, there is no
natural body for defining versioning conventions.  An XML Schema does
not even have a mechanism to express in itself what its URN or public
identifier or canonical location should be (given that there can be many
schemas for the same namespace.)

Rick Jelliffe

Academia Sinica Computing Center
(Member, W3C XML Schema WG)