DR308: stability

From: David Ezell <David_E3@Verifone.Com>
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2000 15:56:52 -0500
To: xml-dist-app@w3.org
On Tue, 14 Nov 2000 16:30:55 -0800 Mark Nottingham wrote:
>Stability is a laudable goal, but does it really mean anything in the
>context of requirements for the specification? Every protocol designer wants
>a stable specification, but it's not always possible to determine this
>before it's in use for quite some time.

Actually, I believe you are somewhat correct; however, you could substitute
the word "simplicity" for "stability" in the above remark and it would
be equally correct.

It might be the view of some people that including sections on "simplicity"
and "stability" is somewhat obtuse; who wouldn't want these in a design?

That said, calling out both "simplicity" and "stability" is proving useful
I think.  WRT "stability", it's important to make clear that XP must be much
more stable than any given XP application; the requirements document will
provide "litmus tests" as we proceed, and I can easily imagine voting against
a requirement which, all things being equal, makes XP less stable.

Best regards,
-David