[DR305] complex applications, etc.

On Wed, 15 Nov 2000 11:49:24+05:00 Bill Anderson wrote:
>Authentication, encryption, and reliable delivery are already addressed
>at the level of protocols like HTTP and SMTP; addressing them as part
>of XP would seem like duplication of effort.  Sessions and transactions
>are complex and we believe should not be addressed by XP for the time
>being.

From [DR305]
"The XML Protocol should provide facilities... to encourage a common
approach..."

I see no argument with the fact that these facilities are addressed
to varying degrees in other (candidate transport) protocols like
HTTP and SMTP.  The language of the DR is not designed to require
the creation of such facilities.

However, while an XP application can certainly *use* facilities
in the underlying protocol, we should avoid *assuming* the presence
of such facilities.

What is really at issue, I think, is that XP must have the ability
to call out the use of the underlying facilities so that implementors
are less prone to "assume" them.  Such calling out will make a given
XP application more portable to another protocol (transport).

All that said, it seems that DR305 failed to make that point to
anyone's satisfaction.  I guess we have more work to do.

All the best,
David