Re: DR 202: custom encodings?

From: MOREAU Jean-Jacques <moreau@crf.canon.fr>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 11:17:22 +0100
To: Ray Whitmer <rayw@netscape.com>
CC: xml-dist-app@w3.org
Ray Whitmer wrote:

> > Or else we should really emphasize the fact that applications using
> > custom encodings WILL NOT be XP compliant.
>
> Why?  In a similar situation, CORBA passes objects by value, which are
> then mapped locally on either end to a native object or type, that isn't
> defined in the CORBA definition.  You have to have the value type
> definition on both ends for it to work.

That was exactly my point: you have to have the definition on both ends!
This may be ok for some  specialized services, with a limited audience, but
IMHO we should discourage general services, the ones that would appeal to a
wider audience, to use custom encoding.

Otherwise, ALL XP clients would have to be modified to support the
particular encoding used by the server. I do not see this as particularly
encouraging interoperability, or client stability.

So what would be a good way to allow custom encoding, without making it
people's primary encoding?

Jean-Jacques.