RE: [DR 309] Vague?

From: Williams, Stuart <skw@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 07:54:07 -0000
To: "'Noah_Mendelsohn@lotus.com'" <Noah_Mendelsohn@lotus.com>
Cc: xml-dist-app@w3.org

The requirement arose in response to some concerns raised on the WG list
(before discussion shifted to this list). The following extract from a
message I sent

The heart of your concern seems to relate most closely to DR306 particularly
in relation to deployment in resource constrained devices where the is
minimal pre-existing XML infrastructure to leverage (basic through to
namespace/schema aware validating XML parsers).

Maybe I can capture your suggestion as:

"DR309: In the presense of a-priori knowledge about the interactions a given
XP implementation and/or XP application will engage in, it SHOULD be
possible to create XP implementations and/or XP applications with minimal
XML infrastructure. The need for *very* simple implementation strategies is
likely to arise in the domain of fixed function embedded devices attached to
the infrastructure.

In terms of answering your question:

> Is the intention to state that schema validation should not be required
when the
> "contract" is known by other means?

I thinks that's certainly part of it... but I also think that the original
concern was also centred on primarily resource constrained embedded devices
with much in the way of a generic XML parser. To a certain extent there is a
question about how simple can simple get? In a different life (for me) the
kind of question that has arisen is how do we do this in a watch - at the
time watches were build around 8 bit micro-controllers with 256 bytes (yes
256 bytes - not kbytes) of RAM.

I hope I've managed to add some background to the concern that DR309 is
trying to address.

Stuart Williams