RE: [DR 612] Lotus "live with" (L) vote on 612

From: Henrik Frystyk Nielsen <frystyk@microsoft.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 16:24:25 -0800
To: "Noah Mendelsohn" <Noah_Mendelsohn@lotus.com>, <xml-dist-app@w3.org>

> We substantially concur with this requirement.  However, the
> phrase "Any protocol binding ... should demonstrate that it
> can interoperate with
> existing HTTP applications."  seems ambiguous and overlay
> broad.  Surely
> there are many http applications out there (mp3 players?) for
> which XP
> might prove to be completely irrelavant.

I don't disagree but I think one of the motivators for the requirement
is that such implementations should not break or be declared to be
broken if they don't do the right thing with an XP message. This should
of course be based on knowledge about how HTTP/1.0 and HTTP/1.1
applications behave.

Henrik