XP Draft Req's - Comment

From: Bob Cunnings <cunnings@lectrosonics.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2000 10:10:50 -0700
To: xml-dist-app@w3.org
Hello,

Just a few comments:

DR609...mandate use of UFT-8 as charset of choice?

Yes, please. Canonicalization of XML and use of HTTP as transport
would be more straightforward.

DR201...RPC conventions will use section 3.5 data representation...

No harm in asking, right?
In the 'straightforward mappings' area, I would like to see given a
mapping of the data types used to OLE Automation types...but if
that is too much of a stretch (object system?) I would need:

DR202...RPC custom encodings...

So I could define my own data binding mechanism for them. We
can't be the only people relying heavily on Automation types for
RPC in a Microsoft environment. (Yes, even long after .NET
becomes widespread).

DR040...Issue i.040.01...

Keep it simple. Base64 encoding is available per R401 (although
xsd:base64 has limitations). But I sympathize with those who don't
want to base64 encode 10 MB objects that need to be passed by
value...but it seems out of scope indeed. It is XML that would
require amendment, possibly.

RC