RE: Web RPCs Considered Harmful

From: James Tauber <JTauber@bowstreet.com>
Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 08:41:09 -0400
To: xml-dist-app@w3.org
> > The issue that started this was the active promotion of non-standard
> > APIs and multiple implementations of those APIs.  At this point, the
> > currently expected (intended, even, by some) usage of RPC-ish protocols
> > is for one-off implementations.

> I disagree with this assertion. I'm not in the least interested
> in one-off implementations. I am extremely interested in allowing
> programatic access to my services, and to do so without either
> a) dragging in the weight of something like CORBA or b)
> implementing my own encoding scheme. I suspect that many
> others come to this topic with a similar perspctive.

One of the issues seems to be the distinction between a one-off local API
that is "webified" as-is versus an implementation independent call to a web
service that has a method-call-like structure to it.

The text on the wire is potentially the same for both so you don't know
necessarily whether you are dealing with a direct, hard-coded procedure call
or a generic request interface that just happens to take the form of a
procedure call.

James
--
James Tauber