Web RPCs Considered Harmful

From: Ken MacLeod <ken@bitsko.slc.ut.us>
Date: 12 May 2000 13:38:44 -0500
To: xml-dist-app@w3.org
Cc: soap@discuss.developmentor.com, xml-rpc@egroups.com
I have written an article that describes major issues with Internet
security and open standards when writing Web applications that rely on
exposing their APIs over the Internet vs. Web applications that simply
store data on Web servers.  This article is motivated by the growing
popularity of SOAP and XML-RPC and the emphasis they place on RPCs.

  <http://monkeyfist.com/articles/514>

I want to be clear that SOAP is more (or less, depending on how you
look at it :-) than just RPCs, it's the marketing focus and user
interest in using SOAP for RPCs that matters.

  -- Ken