Re: XML protocol comparison

"Eric Prud'hommeaux" <eric@w3.org> writes:

> On Mon, May 08, 2000 at 12:46:40PM -0700, Sami Khoury wrote:

> > Hm, how are "generic" and "app-specific" being defined?  I ask
> > because ICE isn't app-specific in any vertical industry sense, nor
> > in any programmatic sense.
>
> I suspected my terms weren't the greatest choice, but wanted to get
> it out for discussion quickly. Perhaps I should just sequester those
> that have "non custom serialization". The defined ICE grammer is
> used only for the transport protocol, and not for defining what is
> in the payload.

I don't know how to say it, but the distinction is between protocols
that have a rather narrow focus on what they do or are intended to be
used generically for many different type of things.

ICE, right in it's name, focuses on Internet Content Exchange.  It's
not that the "content" being exchange, which can be any content (any
"app"), but it's about the exchanging.  Whereas something like SOAP is
just about message structure, with no implied semantics.

  -- Ken