From: Ken MacLeod [mailto:ken@bitsko.slc.ut.us]
Sent: Thursday, March 30, 2000 4:20 PM
To: xml-dist-app@w3.org
Subject: Re: XML protocol comparisons

"Eric Prud'hommeaux" <eric@w3.org> writes:

> [<http://www.w3.org/2000/03/29-XML-protocol-matrix>]

Looking through the list, I notice that some of the protocols contain
domain (application) specific functionality:

  ICE    -- content exchange
  IOTP   -- internet commerce
  TIP    -- two-phase transaction commits
  WF-XML -- workflow
  Jabber -- instant messaging

This might be part of or a better label ("domain specific [portions]")
for "business process".

Typically, those who are developing "generic" protocols are doing so
to provide "domain specific" applications a common protocol to use.
TIP, on the other hand, could be defined as an extension to a generic
protocol.

  -- Ken