Re: XML protocol comparisons

On Thu, 30 Mar 2000, Justin Chapweske wrote:

> I know that someone mentioned BXXP on here before, and I just have to
> ask what if any value does it provide over the webmux protocol that was
> specified for HTTP-NG?  There are so many juicy gems to be gathered from
> HTTP-NG, so even though it may not have happened as a whole, I still
> think the individual components are valid.

Yes, this was one of my concerns when raising the scoping issue - that
relevant work didn't get missed out simply because it happened before XML took off
so dramatically. A lot of the HTTP-NG work, both on protocol design and
the Web Characterization activity [1] serves as an excellent backgrounder
for XML and protocols discussion. For eg the way in which the protocol
design work was coupled to the WCA fact-finding work[2] seems
to me to be a model worth continuing, as it grounds design discussions in
a model of deployed Web practice.

Dan

[1] http://www.w3.org/WCA/
[2] http://www.w3.org/WCA/Reports/1998-01-PDG-answers.htm

	Answers to the W3C HTTP-NGs Protocol Design Group's Questions

	This report was  published by the HTTP-NGWeb Characterization Group in
	response to a set of questions posed by the  HTTP-NG Protocol Design
	team. The Web Characterization Groupis now disbanded. As of October 5
	1998, a similar activity was formed called the Web Characterization
	Activity.

--
danbri@w3.org