Re: Bridging XML/HTTP

From: Mark Baker <mark.baker@Canada.Sun.COM>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2000 14:25:44 -0500
To: xml-dist-app@w3.org
Hi Mike,

Mike Dierken wrote:

> Why not call it http:meta rather than html:meta?

Because of the legacy of equivalent functionality in HTML.  I
considered creating an entirely new structure for doing this, but that
would have orphaned existing practice with HTML/XHTML.  I also argued
for a single mechanism rather than language specific ones, so that
this could be implemented in the web server itself.

> Come up with a canonical DTD for the HTTP protocol & the http: namespace
> would use elements & attributes (if any) from that.
>
> <!-- canonical representation (not fully thought out...) -->
[snip]

I specifically stayed away from trying to change the HTTP protocol
syntax.  That's a non-starter as far as I'm concerned.

I called this a bridge because it allows XML authors to use XML to
extend HTTP, without requiring HTTP to change its syntax.

MB