Re: [Fwd: W3C Chat before XTech 2000: XHTML - a bridge to the Web of the future]

From: Ken MacLeod <ken@bitsko.slc.ut.us>
Date: 21 Feb 2000 13:44:53 -0600
To: xml-dist-app@w3.org
Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org> writes:

> I just discovered there are 117 subscribers lurking in this forum.
> I hope you'll take advantage of this IRC chat to come out of the
> woodwork and let us know what you're up to.

Ah, good call!  Here's a copy of a chat topic I sent to

LDO <http://Casbah.org/LDO/> is a library implemented in several
languages for transporting XML and other messages over various
lower-level protocols such as TCP/IP and HTTP.  LDO also supports,
architecturally, higher level protocols such as XML-RPC and SOAP.

Current protocol implementations are all "single stack", each with
their own API and libraries.  You can't simply choose to use XML-RPC
to site A and use SOAP to site B using the same library/API.  LDO
solves that problem by implementing a layered architecture that
supports multiple protocols and multiple transports.  By being a
layered architecture, LDO actually brings features to existing
protocols that they do not already have, such as alternate transports,
compression or encryption, or a consistent API.

LDO is currently in development.  We have partial implementations in
Java, C, Perl, and Python, using TCP/IP and a generic object-messaging
protocol.  XML-RPC and HTTP support are awaiting integration.  We have
documentation for the object-messaging protocols we use and are
working on documenting the API and architecture.

As an update, I also just drafted the client and server API,

  -- Ken