RE: DR051 and DR006: Identification of message

From: Oisin Hurley <ohurley@iona.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 05:57:18 -0000
To: "Alex Ceponkus" <aceponkus@bowstreet.com>, <xml-dist-app@w3.org>
> DR051:
> "A message must have a globally unique identifier."
>
> DR006:
> "
> Support uniquely identifying messages as entities, so that correlating
> related message (such as requests and responses) is possible over any
> transport.

> I think that these two requirements are similar enough that the resulting
> requirement will probably encompass them both.

I think they are quite different, as the second is contextually limited
and the first is global. The identification of each message by a
GUID/UUID/QName
is probably overkill for the purposes of an XML protocol whereas the second
is necessary for RPC and multiple-response style interactions. My suggestion
would be to keep 006 as part of the basic RPC model conventional
requirements
and elide 051 entirely.

 cheers
 --oh