Another real world use case from the DCOM list; requirement for async processing in XP

From: Dick Brooks <dick@8760.com>
Date: Sat, 9 Dec 2000 09:19:28 -0600
To: <xml-dist-app@w3.org>

-----Original Message-----
From: Distributed COM-Based Code [mailto:DCOM@DISCUSS.MICROSOFT.COM]On
Behalf Of Taras Tielkes
Sent: Saturday, December 09, 2000 8:33 AM
Subject: Is it OK to kill an out-of-proc call?

I need to integrate a 3rd-party component into my application.

The problem is, that this component makes some queries over the internet
using sockets, and there is no async model available. If I make a call into
this component, I have to wait +/- 60 seconds before it returns.

Now, this component needs to be called from ASP, and will block the ASP
I'd like to run this component out-of-proc, and kill the process when
necessary (for instance, when the ASP client has disconnected). I want to
put my own out-of-proc component between ASP and the 3rd-party component. My
component will instantiate the other in a separate thread. The original
thread will shutdown the process when necessary.

I'd like to ask for some advice here. I assume COM will recover from the
process disappearing, but:
-Is the COM infrastructure for this robust?
-How long will it be before COM notices the process is gone, and signals the
ASP scripting client?
-Any alternative solutions for this?

Thanks in advance,

Users Guide http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/essentials/mail.asp