Re: XML and encoding (was Re: summary table of WWW9 agenda propos als)

"V. Bruce Hunt" <bhunt@Adobe.COM> writes:

> Eric Prud'hommeaux wrote:
> > A general prob we are solve here involves the serializing of
> > arbitrary data to ship to an agent which then uses the protocol to
> > deserialize the data and dispatch to some RPC handler.
>
> I'm not clear on what the difference between "Packaged" data and
> "serializing of arbitrary data" is.  If by "serializing" you mean
> the act of transforming data into a form desirable for transport;
> then "packaging" and "serializing" have similar meanings.  ICE's
> packaging technique permits any data of any format to be inside a
> package (also data can be referenced from within the package).

In essence, "any format to be inside a package" suggests (and my
reading of it concurs) that ICE is a container/carrier protocol for
other data.  Specifically, ICE doesn't recommend a format for the
packaged data.

In this sense, ICE should not be considered to have a "serialization"
facet in the context of the XML protocol matrix, it doesn't (and isn't
intended to) describe how applications should serialize their data.

Is that correct, Bruce?  The comparison are protocols like WDDX and
SOAP's section 8 which do describe rules for encoding or serializing
application data.

  -- Ken