RE: Requesting XML records via Z39.50

From: Ray Denenberg <raydenenberg@starpower.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2009 18:49:04 -0500
To: "'Adam Dickmeiss'" <adam@indexdata.dk>
Cc: <www-zig@w3.org>

From: Adam Dickmeiss [mailto:adam@indexdata.dk]
>It's also been our assumption that it would be practical to use same schema
identifiers for both SRU and Z39.50. Why have two registries?

Well the problem is that you have to use the OID form if you are supplying
the schema identifier in the schema field in compspec. You don't have any
choice there because it's typed as asn.1 OBJECT IDENTIFIER. True, you could
(technically) use the URI form when supplying it within the element set name
parameter (because it has no such restriction).  So one way or the other you
end up with two different identfiers: either (a) different for SRU and
Z39.50, or (b) different for the two ways within Z39.50. And in the second
case, one of the two will be inconsistent with SRU.  So (a) would be the
lesser of the evils, wouldn't it?

(Or are you suggesting that we use OIDs instead or URIs in SRU. I hope not.)

--Ray