RE: Z39.50 vs. LDAP...

Yes, there is a lot of similarity between them.  But, the L in LDAP stands
for Lightweight and it is.  It doesn't support any of the abstraction and
extensibility mechanism that Z39.50 supports.  Its support for record
syntaxes is weak.  Surprisingly, no one ever whines about the fact that it
uses ASN.1 and BER for its messages.  Go figure.

Ralph