Re: Terms and display terms in scan

> Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 11:39:11 -0500
> From: "Ray Denenberg, Library of Congress" <rden@loc.gov>
>
> > One possible interpretation is to use the display term for the
> > original term. For example, put "S123" into the term field, but
> > "SMITH" into the display term.
>
> That's the intent of the standard. Look at Z39.50-2003; a comment
> has been added to this effect in the ASN.1 (comment #11 for the
> PDUs).

That comment (on p241 of the new standard) says --

	Comment 11

	Presence of displayTerm means that term is not
	considered by the server to be suitable for display,
	and displayTerm should instead be displayed.  'term'
	is the actual term in the term list; 'displayTerm' is
	for display purposes only, and is not an actual term
	in the term list.

Which doesn't seem to clear the matter up one way or another.  I say
that whatever "displayTerm" is used for, "term" itself _must_ be that
which can be submitted in a search, which soundex output such as S123
clearly is not -- at least, not for any normal index.  Ergo, it can't
go in the "term" element of a scan response.  The "term" must contain
stuff like "Smith" and "Smythe".

)_v__/\  "Never ruin an apology with an excuse" -- Kimberly Johnson.