Re: requesting XML records

From: Mike Taylor <mike@indexdata.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 16:31:41 GMT
To: bigrat18@hotmail.com
CC: www-zig@w3.org

> Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 15:09:59 +0100
> From: "Jonathan Rowell" <bigrat18@hotmail.com>
> not wanting to start a flame war the definition is :-

... and not wanting to perpetuate one either, but ...  :-)

> [Definition:] An XML namespace is a collection of names, identified
> by a URI reference [RFC2396], which are used in XML documents as
> element types and attribute names. XML namespaces differ from the
> "namespaces" conventionally used in computing disciplines in that
> the XML version has internal structure and is not, mathematically
> speaking, a set.

I'm familiar with that definition.  The problem is, no-one seems to
know what it means.  It is at best ambiguous if not actually
controversial -- for example, see XML.com's article _Namespace Myths
Exploded_ at
the introduction of which summarises the many issues rather deftly

	As long as you don't look too deeply, XML namespaces
	do their job and do it reasonably well.  Of course,
	many people have looked too deeply.

Myths #6 ("An XML namespace has an internal structure") are #8 ("XML
namespaces are strongly related to schemas") are particularly ...
What's the opposite of enlightening?  :-)

I don't pretend to understand all the back-and-forthing of this stuff,
and you very probably have a deeper understanding of it than I do.
But what's clear is that the concept we're trying to capture in the
putative "give me an XML record in this schema" request is _not_
talking about getting back records "in a specified namespace" -- if
that phrase even means anything.

)_v__/\  "It seems to be the word on the street that Hypsilophodontidae
	 is paraphyletic" -- Pete Buchholz.