Re: requesting XML records

Hi Mike!

not wanting to start a flame war the definition is :-

[Definition:] An XML namespace is a collection of names, identified by a URI
reference [RFC2396], which are used in XML documents as element types and
attribute names. XML namespaces differ from the "namespaces" conventionally
used in computing disciplines in that the XML version has internal structure
and is not, mathematically speaking, a set. These issues are discussed in
"A. The Internal Structure of XML Namespaces".

from http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml-names/

What I actually meant was that the uri should be used in an XML document as
a namespace uri (xmlns:xx=uri)

further from the w3c.org document :-

[Definition:] URI references which identify namespaces are considered
identical when they are exactly the same character-for-character. Note that
URI references which are not identical in this sense may in fact be
functionally equivalent.

And this is probably the problem - functional equivalence.

I dislike intensely, XML documents perporting to be of some standard without
a reference to that standard. Furthermore if a document contains elements
from different standards they should be appropiately marked. XML has xmlns
for this purpose and I think it should be used. Validation is in my opinion
a separate issue.

I have, however, squeeked enough.

Rat