Re: NORZIG proposed new bib-1 Use attributes

One of the requested new Use attributes (Subject--genre/form) is, in my
opinion, already present.  I believe that Use attribute "1075" is the
genre/form subject search.  Confusion is being caused by the name of
this attribute in the current Bib-1 attribute list.  Attributes 1073-1079
were given the following names:

  1073  Subject-name-conference
  1074  Subject-name-corporate
  1075  Subject-name-form
  1076  Subject-name-geographical
  1077  Subject-name-chronological
  1078  Subject-name-title
  1079  subject-name-topical

I think that the word "name" should be removed from 1075, 1077, 1078, and
1079, and that 1075 should be renamed "Subject-form/genre" (or
"Subject-genre/form").  With this change, I think that NORZIG should use
1075.

I'm not familiar with a couple of these attributes (UNIMARC/NorMARC) and
I haven't taken the time to look them up.  I'll just ask a dumb question
about the "Nationality code".  Are these two-character codes that can
appear in the 7XX $c the same as the International Country Codes?  If
that's the case, we should say that in the description.

I don't have a problem with adding these attributes to Bib-1.  In fact,
it seems appropriate when they are compared to attributes that are
already present.

I also don't have a problem with adding the "Composition code" and
the "Intellectual level" code.  We already have a number of code
searches in Bib-1 (e.g., Language (54), Geographic Area Code (55),
Organization code (56), Microform generation (61), Record type (1001),
Bibliographic level (1021), and Map scale (1024).  These two seem to
fit right in.  Is NORZIG going to use the codes listed in MARC 21?
(It would be very helpful to cite the authoritative code list in
the description.)

The fact that the Composition code will be used to search music and sound
recordings doesn't bother me either.  Bib-1 already has a number of Use
attributes that can be used to search music materials (e.g., values 51,
1025, 1185-1195, 1206-1208).  Therefore, I say go ahead and add the MARC
composition code search to Bib-1.
Larry

On Wed, 19 Mar 2003, Mike Taylor wrote:

> > Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 17:13:47 -0500
> > From: Ray Denenberg <rden@loc.gov>
> >
> > NORZIG has proposed several new bib-1 Use
> > attributes.  See
> > http://www.loc.gov/z3950/agency/proposals/norzig-bib1-proposal.html
> >
> > Please comment by April 18.
>
> I have reservations about plenty of these -- quite apart from sharing
> Barbara's distaste for _any_ new BIB-1 attributes -- but I wonder
> whether it's even worth discussing.  We all know BIB-1 is a garbage
> can, and it's hard to see that it makes much difference exactly how
> much garbage is contains.  So my first instinct was just to shug and
> say, what the hey, if NORZIG wants 'em, let it have 'em.
>
> That said, several of these seem clearly not to belong to a
> bibliographic attribute set: Composition (in the musical sense),
> Compression and Format catch the eye.  Also, possibly Equinox -- in so
> far as I understand what it is, which isn't very far.
>
> The others -- Intellectual level, EAN, NLC, CRCS, Nationality Of
> Author, Subject Genre, Subject Occupation, Subject Function and
> Edition -- seem reasonable enough bibliographic access points, but I
> agree with Ralph that the proposed search-vocabularies are pretty
> horrible, especially for the first two.

> /o ) \/  Mike Taylor   <mike@miketaylor.org.uk>   www.miketaylor.org.uk
> )_v__/\  "Further up and further in!" -- C. S. Lewis, "The Last Battle"

Larry E. Dixson                    Internet:    ldix@loc.gov
Network Development and MARC
   Standards Office, LM639
Library of Congress                Telephone: (202) 707-5807
Washington, D.C.  20540-4402       Fax:       (202) 707-0115