Re: CCL proposal (quotes)

On Fri, May 10, 2002 at 11:20:14AM +0100, Mike Taylor wrote:
> > Date: Thu, 9 May 2002 12:30:07 -0400
> > From: "LeVan,Ralph" <levan@oclc.org>
> >
> > So, we have a flawed, unimplemented standard that was allowed to
> > slip gracefully into its grave at review time.
>
> :-)  Sounds pretty dam' conclusive, then.
>
> Which raises the question: how did a Z39.59 truncation attribute ever
> get into BIB-1 in the first place?

I don't remember exactly, I almost certainly voted in favor of it.
Z39.50 has a slot for CCL (ISO8777) queries. So I vaguely remember
arguing that it would be useful to have a CCL pattern match operator
so clients can easily turn CCL queries into RPN to be sent over the
wire. I don't recall why it got called Z39.58 - probably because it
was the "Z" version of the ISO standard. It was identical to the
ISO8777 pattern match operator so I probably did not care.

> It now seems to me that the best approach is: we write a brief but
> watertight spec. for how we want 104 trunction to work, an change the
> prose so it says something non-commital like "This is similar to what
> was specified by the defunct Z39.58 standard".

I would personally like this - or rename it to be ISO8777 (identical
pattern syntax to Z39.58) in line with type-2 queries. As I have written
before on, I would like to put double-quotes in for completeness.
(The fact that we have already written the code here is completely
unrelated! :-)

Alan