Re: CCL proposal (quotes)

Mike Taylor wrote:

> Ray,
>
> This _is_ a joke, isn't it?  Isn't it?  Huh?  Huh?

No, it's a serious suggestion.

It appears to me that there isn't much implementation of the IEEE1003.2  nor
the Z39.58 regular expression.  The reason given in the IEEE case is that
it's too complex. The counter suggestion has been to implement a subset, and
the counter argument to that is "interoperability problems".  The reason
given in the Z39.58 case is that it doesn't have sufficient functionality.

I think the IEEE complexity/interoperability argument is sound. And I have a
real distaste for the prospect of trying to patch up a Z39.58 definition
(when Z39.58 doesn't even exist anymore).

Given that there isn't much implementation investment in either  (and if I'm
wrong on that I expect that people will speak up) it seems reasonable to
suggest that we define a regular expression for Z39.50, compatible with
existing regular expressions, that encompasses the requirements of the
Z39.50 implementor community.

So, what do you suggest, Mike?

--Ray