RE: Z39.50 character encoding

From: Jacob HallÚn <jacob@netg.se>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 12:29:06 +0100 (CET)
To: Pieter Van Lierop <pvanlierop@geac.fr>
cc: zig <www-zig@w3.org>
I always prefer simplicity, when it seems to reasonably fill the needs of
the community. If Unicode options are any more complicated than an option
bit, I think it will scare potential implementors away and cost existing
ones a lot of grief.

I agree with Pieters view that the Unicode bit should not apply to MARC
records or other foreign records that are carried inside the Z39.50
protocol. If you wish to negotiate a specific encoding for such a carried
record, we could make an implementors agreement about carrying such
information in the OtherInformation of the Present APDU et al.

Jacob HallÚn
AB Strakt