Re: SV: Z39.50 on the web (and in print)

Rob,

with explain being there for all those years in the 1995 standard:
- there has been an explain test bed driven by Makx back in 1995 - 96 - result - very little participation or usage;
- there was the ONE project - resulting in a handful of explain-aware servers in existence since 1997 but almost no usage;
- we had a completely free explain add-on component on our ftp server for over 5 years - only a handful of downloads;
- the number of commercial library management systems supporting explain in their Z servers or clients is probably none;

- all in all a huge amount of nervous energy - enthusiasm from ZIG folk - discussion over the past years  etc but a  tiny, tiny takeup.

To me that says something -  despite how easy it might be to portray or use or say how useful it would be.

From a commercial point of view - I see no justification in creating an explain server or an explain client when you can
use alternative options  - ie registries, phone, web sites, robots etc to find the same information. In theory it sounds nice - in practice people must be saying "why bother" when I can currently get away with alternatives. The alternatives are not perfect - but they get the job done.

Even if there was enough ZIG energy to do explain properly via a profile etc. - chances are that someone will want the ASN changed
and make it different - or realise that there are things missing reflecting today's technology needs that will result
in a re-write for toolkits, and the very few existing applications etc.

We know that explain lite is not perfect - and it was argued against as "madness" because explain was there.
But at least explain lite can be used far easier than explain - it is human readable - it can be on the Z-init and/or on a web page  - it does not need any ASN modifications - it uses flavour of the decade technology - XML.

Explain lite is not - or ever intended - to cover all the fine details of the complex servers - it is there to try and please some of the people some of the time.

And in 2 years of explain lite existing there is probably more usage than there ever were explain servers.  For the requirement of improving automation and configuration - that to me is a good start.

Rob

  Rob Bull    bull@crxnet.com         Crossnet Systems Limited
  tel +44 (0) 1635 522912             Unit 41 Bone Lane, Newbury
  fax +44 (0) 1635 522913             Berkshire, RG14 5SH,
 United Kingdom