Re: Z39.50 on the web (and in print)

At 09:04 22-02-2002 -0600, Mark Needleman - DRA wrote:

>But for this to work and be interoperable we definitely need (as you
>suggest) a good structure for defining resources - and one that contains a
>rich enough set of data elements to describe that resource (beyond ip
>address, port and database name) - so we know where to go search for
>different types of data

Yes... we'd definitely need something like descriptive text (multilingual),
keywords, etc... not to mention, if we picture this being a union catalogue
type function, something that will guide you back to the originator of the
metadata... in general, it has to be considered how such a function feeds
into the business case of the operators/data suppliers, rather than work
against it.

>I probably was at that meeting you refer to - but perhaps the lack of
>oxygen got to me because I dont recall the discussion you refer to

I think about half the meeting were off doing Bath or Bib-2 at the time.

--Sebastian

--
Sebastian Hammer, Index Data <http://www.indexdata.dk/>
Ph: +45 3341 0100, Fax: +45 3341 0101